Thursday, March 10, 2011

On fasting and Lenten resolutions: The truth? You can't handle the truth!


So, about that fast:


Yesterday, I admit I had a very bad day. As a result, I began the fast this morning. I will fast until 6 p.m. Saturday when we meet with a local vegan group to celebrate their 10th anniversary.

What could possibly cause a day so bad that a fast, and Lenten resolution, would be broken?

The truth.
Ah, the truth, in all its murky glory. We lose ourselves inside it, often, as we realize others are denying it. Focusing merely on details instead of looking at the whole picture. It's a slippery slope.

"You never find yourself until you face the truth." ~ Pearl Bailey

How true those words seem, sitting here. Musing. Realizing my own truth in the perspective of others. But, although my fast is supposed to rely solely on water, I am drinking some morning coffee. With ground coriander, pink peppercorns, freshly grated nutmeg, and Saigon cinnamon - all organic. The sweet and spicy combination is serving as the perfect backdrop to my morning.


I am not going to let other's truths define my own. I can see for miles and miles and way past the murk. And the bullshit. Into the heart, wherein the truth lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment