Saturday, June 4, 2011

On Setting Examples


So, I don't have children, so maybe it's not for me to say. But, I wonder . . . what is becoming of the examples we are supposed to have become? I'm putting my foot down on this one - finally.

It has taken me two weeks, nearly, to decide how I wanted to broach this topic. Then, I just decided, "What the hell?"

I love Facebook. I have to say, it has reconnected me with many folks I have missed over the years. I have become friends with people whom I never was before. And, I have an "in" to the artsy/music community in the D. In case I ever decide to move back there, that is.

What disturbs me about Facebook, though, is the fact that I am finding out dark secrets about people which I shouldn't talk about, hence my hesitation about this subject.

You see, I realize it's the Internet, but doesn't everyone else realize this, too? If you plagiarize on a public forum, others will know. Those of us who are ardent creatives are a bit put-off by those who plagiarize for attention. Okay, maybe not a bit. More like A LOT.

When people who don't know each other and live 11 states apart have the same status post, and one of them credits the source, but the other does not, isn't this plagiarism? Does adding a little color to a classic photograph make it "yours"? Or is it the other artist's, with a little embellishment?

What kind of example are we setting for our children if this is how we represent our selves?

I guess, being in the profession I am, another MAJOR, irksome situation is the use of grammar. Sorry, but the word is "YOU" - a word, not a letter. And, what about "ARE" - also a word. Those with no children at home, I do not hold accountable. Your days of setting examples are pretty much over and your influence set in stone. But the ones with middle, elementary, or high school students under your wing? Oh, no. Let's not kill the language, please. Johnny can't read because it's not spelled phonetically, or in text talk, right?

Above and beyond all of this, it's also the idea of stealing ideas. Do people realize that stealing what is referred to as "intellectual property" is actually a copyright violation? Obviously not. I see my ideas, complete with tildes, all over my HOME page on Facebook now. It was bad enough a few years back when a foreign website was stealing health tips from my previous blog.

I am not really bitching, I guess. Again, "I say who am I to blow against the wind?" (Paul Simon, "I Know What I Know"); I don't have youngsters to whom I can bestow my wisdom. But, does that stop me from wanting to be the best role model I can?

No.

I guess it's sad that others don't see it that way, too.

2 comments:

  1. I'm beginning to think the majority of people don't care what kind of a role model they are being. Most don't realize that every action or word becomes a model to others.

    Vulgar language used in homes finds its way to the streets and to school classrooms. What kids hear, they repeat.

    Our roads are littered with trash thrown out of cars by people of all ages. What kids see, they repeat.

    Just like you wrote, Kim, plagiarism is all over the internet. When a student is using the internet for research, the copy and paste right click is so simple to use. That's great for creating notes when preparing a final report. Unfortunately, the delete key is misplaced.

    You keep right on being the excellent role model you have exhibited! What you write makes me want to work harder yet, at being a good role model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Margaret -

    Thanks for your kind words and wonderful intentions! Glad I am a role model for you, too. How is the TCOM project coming along??

    Big hug!

    ReplyDelete